Veterinarians and pet owners across the country are discovering real benefits from CBD use on their pets as CBD is becoming a popular natural alternative with little side effects. Pet owners are using it for a wide variety of issues including:
- anxiety (separation) & fear (thunderstorms, fireworks)
- acute and chronic pain
- neurological disorders
- increase appetite
- nausea (car)
- general distress or aggression
Cannabidiol (CBD) is becoming more accepted because many CBD remedies do not contain THC which can make your pet a little loopy (or high). The mechanism at work is essentially the same as in humans and all about the endocannabinoid system within your pet.
“Dosage can range but typically 1mg to 5mg of CBD per 10lbs bodyweight is a good place to start.”
Typical forms that your pet can take CBD are generally put into 3 categories:
- CBD Oil – this can be put directly into the pets mouth or wrapped in a treat or food. (Check for other ingredients as some of these oils have sweetener or flavor that your dog or cat might not like or be allergic too)
- CBD Topical – this is usually a salve or balm that can be put directly on the dogs skin for issues like arthritis or skin conditions. Likewise, look to see what other ingredients are in the topical to make sure that if your pet licks it, he / she will not get sick.
- CBD Edibles – more dog and cat treats with CBD are coming to market making it very easy to make sure your animal is getting their correct daily dose.